Thursday, May 27, 2010

Running the Race

Isaiah 40:28-31

28 Do you not know? Have you not heard? The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.

29 He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.

30 Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;

31 but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.

Well, this will be my last blog post until my return from the National Marathon Championships in Ottawa, May 30th (also, see Athletics Canada and the Elite Start List). The above verse (likely one you've heard before) can be applied to our lives in many ways. Obviously I've highlighted the "run and not grow weary" part so that I can keep it in my mind while running 42.2 km on Sunday.
I must say that the last two weeks have been different. For my fellow marathoners, I know you understand. Decreasing mileage and intensity for 2 weeks is something that doesn't go unnoticed by the mind or body. But, it has been good. I've been able to rest (easy to do w/ all of the finales on tv!), recover from a nasty cold (first one in ages!), spend even more quality time with my family (Seth, our 2 yr old is really talking a lot now... in full-out sentences! Micah, our 4 yr old is preparing for JK, and asking a lot about what is real vs pretend), speak to a few community groups, and prepare for this big race. Let me tell you, I AM READY!
Tomorrow we'll pack the van and head out with lots of toys, books, music (and Adventures in Odyssey for the kids), snacks (for the boys), water and bagels (for me!). We are going to meet up with Team Saucony for dinner Friday night and see some of the city (hopefully the Changing of the Guards) before the race.

Many of you ask me what I think about when I race. Well, let me just say that thinking is very different when racing vs training. I talk a lot w/ my friends when I train but when I run, it's business (just ask James ... when he paced me in Hamilton, he once asked if I wanted water at a station. Apparently I replied quite abruptly, "no, sloshing" as I pointed to my stomach!).
Since running faster, I must say I have less time to think! I am very aware of my pace (Nicole calls me "Steady Eddie"!), eload gel and sports drink consumption, and km markings. I can't say that I get too bothered by those around me as I focus on MY race.
Here's what I've been thinking as I go into this race. I will likely ponder some of these thoughts Sunday, once I get into a steady pace:

- my mom locking me out of the house (because of my high energy) to run laps around our farm before being allowed back in (yes, I've already done this with Micah in the back yard!)
- my dad's great interest and support in my sports activities - and that too of my siblings'
- the strength God gave me as I watched my parents' bodies weaken to cancer but see their faith like never before. Knowing I'm running for them, and my friend (t).
- how much I love running and feel like I just started (thanks to a 4 year break to play hockey at U of G )
- the balance of training, working, family life, and other activities (I completed the training plan...now time to implement race plan!)
- my super husband as he loves our boys tremendously, and serves so diligently in so many ways (e.g. he cuts the lawn w/ our 2 yr old riding along in a backpack)
- Coach Nicole's expertise in taking me, "Marathon Mom" to the next level, after winning my first marathon back since having kids, on Mother's Day
- a chocolate and peanut ice cream bar waiting for me in my freezer at home
- my healthy and injury-free body that in this season, completed PR's in every race, and an average of running 97 km/wk, swimming 4 km/wk and cycling 30 min/wk
- future dreams of: more Chariot runs w/ additional kids, faster marathons, missions trips (I would love to care for babies in an orphanage)

Let me say, there certainly has been joy in this pursuit. As my sister said, "Kris - Remember that God "works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will" (Ephesians 1:11) and then, no matter what happens, you can have peace and a sense of purpose. He's given you your talents and you're using the gifts He's given you.
As Eric Liddell said, "God made me fast. And when I run, I feel His pleasure"
I'm SO proud of the steward that you are!" "

Signing out....
Krista


1 Corinth. 9:24 You know that in a race all the runners run but only one wins the prize, don't you? You must run in such a way that you may be victorious