Monday, May 31, 2010

National Marathon Champion 2010 ... How Sweet It Is!

Click here for a video clip from the National Championship at the Ottawa Marathon!





Jonathan, Micah, Seth and I just got home from our Ottawa weekend. I have A LOT of laundry to do but am going to take all of this in, while I can. I have over 100 emails to read but wanted to do a quick blog. My sister sent this article to me, below.
Will give you the race report tonight.

From runnersweb.com

Just behind Mohammed (1st female overall), finishing 6th female overall and first Canadian female, Krista Duchene of Brantford crossed the finish line at 2:39:08.

Sporting a yellow ribbon for her deceased parents and friend currently battling Cancer, DuChene gushed about her family, faith, and love of running.

"God has given me this gift," DuChene said, while hugging her husband and two sons, ages 2 and 4. "It's about setting a goal and going for it."


OTTAWA — For a full-time mother of two boys under five, a part-time worker outside the home and committed runner, Krista DuChene of Brantford, Ont., runs a mean marathon.

However, after placing sixth overall in the women’s division of the 36th Ottawa Marathon on Sunday and winning the female title at the Athletics Canada national championships, DuChene says it’s time for a break.

Competing under ideal weather conditions, with overcast skies and cool temperatures, DuChene, 33, finished her fourth marathon in the past 13 months in two hours 39 minutes 7.3 seconds. It wasn’t a personal-best time, but she earned her first national title.

“I can’t believe that I can say that,” DuChene, the mother of Micah, 4, and Seth, 2, said about her national title.

She told most people who asked that she was striving for a time of 2:40 in Ottawa, but secretly wanted 2:37.

“I intentionally came in with a few goals: Top 10, top Canadian and a personal-best time,” DuChene said. “It didn’t go exactly, but I’ve had four marathons in the last 13 months.

“I need a break.”

DuChene was a runner in high school, but put it aside in favour of women’s hockey while a student at the University of Guelph. Following university, she ran three marathons before delivering her two children and four marathons since their birth.

“I feel like I’m just starting running,” she said.