Sunday, May 12, 2013

What A Weekend May Bring

I don't even know where to start with this post.
On Friday, my facebook and twitter status went from, "Wknd: 37 km run, hockey tourney, Mother's Day...#blessed" to telling 6 young children that our pastor had suddenly died. 
He took his own life.
He suffered from clinical depression.
Like I said in posting after the Boston bombing, it's my blog and I want to be real about myself, my life, and my faith. So, I will write about these difficult topics.
Although my mom died from cancer, a disease you could see, she also suffered from mental illness for years prior to that. It was rough.
Mental illness is so difficult to understand, even more difficult to experience as a friend or family member, and absolutely horrific to have. You can appear to have everything going for you, or struggle with a little or a lot but it does not matter when inflicted with this terrible disease. It still exists.
I applaud Clara Hughes' role in supporting mental health programs. She has clearly given back to the community in a phenomenal way.
Two days later we continue to sit with more questions than answers.
But we do know that life on earth is temporary and there is comfort in reading Revelation 21:4 - "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away."
We continued on with our daily activities this weekend. I got in a solid 40 km run with Clayton and James, Jonathan helped plan today's church service with the rest of the elders, Micah played 6 hockey games, and we had a simple Mother's Day dinner out. Our church has come together as a strong family and as an elder's wife, I've never felt more support. 
This week will again be busy with the usual activities, including a presentation to the North Shore Runners in Port Dover and another solid week of training. And as we grieve the loss of Andy and celebrate the beginning of a marriage, it will be another weekend with a range of emotions.