Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Here We Go!



Photos taken by Brantford Road Rebels.

I enjoyed my two down weeks, which included 140 km and 120 km of running (and swimming and biking) and ... lots of ice cream. Yep, that's right. I splurged. I ate anything I wanted. The funny thing is that there are many things I could have eaten but had absolutely no desire to touch. I think that when you are in the habit of eating well, you always want to, and continue to eat well. And that is a good thing. So, the extent of my 2 weeks of eating anything I wanted included: toast with tonnes of honey and ice cream (1 sundae, 1 frosty, 2 drumsticks, and a few cones!!). I tell you, by the time the two weeks was up, I knew I had more than enough. So, from now until Oct 14, I will not have one bite of any sort of treat. I went two months before Rotterdam so know that 3 months is totally possible. I love being driven by goals!
So, I was able to run a shorter race to get a good start to the season. Coach and I had planned the 4 miler in Buffalo but because I was on my own with the kids and the drive to and from was long enough (not to mention the possible wait at the border), we decided to do the Burlington Downtown Dash 5km.  Despite the extra ice cream I was carrying (!!!), I was able to run a fairly speedy 16:32 (new personal best!). I felt great; controlled, strong and steady. Avery came with me to help w/ the kids and we had a great time. I took Friday off (first day off in 5 1/2 weeks) and enjoyed the day at the cabin with the kids.  Coach and I met this week to discuss our 12 week plan. I'll run 160 km/wk (and swim and bike) and likely race 3 times (one half, and two 10 km's) before STWM.
It's going to be good, real good!
Focused. Fit. Fast.
Here's a picture of my brother in law's turtle squares from his food blog, The Black Peppercorn. They'll taste so good...in October!!
Featured Image