Sunday, March 25, 2012

Around the Bay 30 km ... wow!


(Josie Mannen photo)
Well, I sure surprised myself today. The plan was to run 3:40/km (goal marathon pace)...I ended up averaging 3:34/km, which got me 1:47:03 (59 seconds from the course record) and first female overall. What a thrill!
Dayna Pidhoresky raced today and I fully expected her to win. We ran the first 11 km or so together and I was able to keep up with her! Then I lost her at a water station and just kept looking forward. I was hoping to use my strength in the last 10 km on the rolling hills and killer hill at 26 km to gain a bit more distance and was successful. I guess doing the Bay a few times is an advantage. The last 10 km is definitely a challenge but like childbirth, it doesn't hurt any less but you know what to expect (fyi childbirth is still waaay more painful than any race!!)! A big thanks to Dale, again, for his support on that killer hill.
Coach Rick was on route, which was great. His support is amazing (he and I are being interviewed in this picture). Exciting. Very exciting.
Here's a few links:
Brantford Expositor
Hamilton Spectator
Youtube