Sunday, September 4, 2011

Running in the Dark ... Skunks and Roadkill

Using your kids as an alarm clock is really the best way to wake up and start the day. I've enjoyed a few early runs lately, after feeding Leah. It's great because I usually know when she needs to feed so put her to bed according to when I want to get up. I've been out the door around 5:30 am a few times in the past week. It's been great.
Although, the problem with this is that it is still dark. The first day, I went to go out the front door and heard a sound in our front garden. Out came a skunk. It ran toward our vans and likely far from our house but I got the keys out to honk the horn a few times to make sure (sorry, neighbours!). Then, the other problem I faced the other day while running in the dark (when I wanted to get my 25 km easy run done in good time) was avoiding roadkill. Stepping on some random raccoon or possum would really freak me out, not to mention likely cause injury.
I plan to run about 17 km tomorrow. Thankfully we don't have too much planned so I can start close to the first crack of day light!
I logged another decent (decent for me right now) week. 85 km, which included a 25 km long, tempo, and speed runs. And of sourse some swimming and cycling.
Enjoy the week, folks!