Monday, May 27, 2013

Ottawa Race Weekend 2013. Perfect.

This weekend was exactly what I hoped for and needed; relaxing, fun, successful, and energizing.

Relaxing
Flying porter was easy and straight-forward. It's always great when you have no delays or complications traveling to and from races. I got to the media event in perfect time, Friday. It was neat because not only was I there as a 10 km competitor but also to do some homework for my commentating job. I wanted to see  the top marathoners and get a personal feel for the top Canadians.
I roomed with New Zealand's Mary Davies, which was great. She is one lovely, modest, and very talented person.We ran, swam, relaxed in the hotel room and ate meals together, exchanged training and parenting routines, and discussed our future plans, including World champs, Olympics, babies, and retirement. It's pretty neat how much we have in common. With her in Houston now, we are far apart in distance but keep in touch as great friends.

Fun
Commentating the marathon Sunday morning was very enjoyable with Mark Sutcliffe and Eric Gillis who also covered the 10 km the night before. I met Mark at 6:15 a.m. and he briefly explained things. Then in no time, we were live! Like he said, it was very conversational; I was able to talk technical and also add my personal experience as a marathoner, dietitian, and mom. I've received a lot of positive feedback so perhaps this is something I could do again! I haven't yet seen either race (me running the 10 km or commentating the marathon) but here is the link.

Successful
My goal going into the 10 km was to break 33 minutes and be smart. It was a very deep field with my main competition being Canadians, Lanni Marchant and Natasha Fraser. Knowing Aug 10 was my ultimate peak race, I was going to give a solid effort but not do anything stupid. So, after another speedy start (first km in 3:05, 2 km in 6:16, ), I thought about last year's race while running, "it's hard but cannot be as bad as last year". Lanni and I played some cat and mouse with her finishing just ahead of me, placing 6th and 7th overall. My time was 32:52 and Lanni's 32:46! Things are looking good for us to again work together in another marathon. Mary had an amazing race, finishing 3rd in 32:08! Results here. I was very pleased to break 33 min, all in one piece, healthy and strong. And I pb'd in the 5km with 16:05 (not that it's official but still)! Shortly after I jogged back to the hotel with Erin and Natasha, eager to get on the treadmill to complete a total of 30 km for the day, eat dinner then get to bed for my early commentating start. Mary and I did some swimming, which was great recovery. And dinner was so delicious after racing.

Energizing
Being away was a boost, emotionally for me. We continue to move forward in our mourning of Andy's loss. My husband dedicated two babies at church, Sunday. It was emotional for everyone as it was something Andy used to do. Andy dedicated our three kids so I'm sure if I was there, it would have been tough.  It will be one long road but we are on it. On the way home, I read scripture, looked at pictures of the kids' weekend events, and began thinking about the next 11 weeks. Rick sent me my plan for the next 2 weeks and I am ready to get to work. We will be increasing my mileage and intensity then taking it down for the week leading up to the Scotiabank Vancouver Half. I won and PB'd at this race last year and would love to repeat but again will likely stick to my goal plan and play it smart and safe.

The weekend was just perfect and I'm glad to be back home again. I've already completed a strong workout and been treated by Sherri. All is well!
And we keep going ...
Mommies and marathon friends. Mary Davies and Krista DuChene at STWM 2012, 1st and 4th overall.


Closer to Moscow, World Champs! 6th and 7th at Ottawa 10 km race. Lanni and Krista.

Glad I could help promote this amazing race weekend. Definitely a favourite.


Two great people - CDN marathon record holder, Silvia Reugger and Coach Rick Mannen at a Start2Finish event. Dylan Wykes has been supporting this amazing group to help break child poverty in Canada.

Back to the treadmill after my 10 km PB. Total of 30 km for the evening.

Eric and Krista enjoying the commentating.