Sunday, February 5, 2012

Coaching, Logging the Distance, and Back to Work




This picture was taken after we returned home from Micah's 6th birthday party (we had it at our church, which was great because the 9 boys could run around in the gym!). Can't believe I have a 6 year old!

So, the week after my new 8 km PR of 27:43 was a solid one. I must say that physical recovery after the shorter races seems to be much easier than after the longer ones! Also, I've enjoyed the break from the mental toughness needed in the longer races. I'm not saying it's easy to run shorter, fast races but you have no time to get into the mental battles.

So, this week I ran 135 km, which included coach Nicole's execution long run (35 km) on Saturday. It can be a challenge to get that pace faster near the end; but it's critical. I've been focusing on running strong, mentally and physically, at the end of each workout as it's good prep for the marathon. At 37 km it may feel like you are working hard, just to maintain race pace to the end!
Another great part of the week was meeting with Rick Mannen*. He is going to provide local coaching support for me (specifically key tempo and interval workouts), while I maintain following Coach Nicole's plan (basically increased mileage and intensity from my 201
0 plan as I am doing many of the same races). I look forward to this as well as continuing to support Rick with the new
Brantford Tournament of Races - Road and Trail Series. This month I will contribute to the "Running with Rick" monthly column for the paper with a focus on running and nutrition. Later I will write about being a mom of 3 while working and training. I am fortunate that I am able to return to work this week, with one weekly 4 hour shifts in the evenings. Doing just a bit of work will be great to keep my dietitian head sharp while not compromising my training.


Here is a sneak preview to the upcoming article:
"Now that you have started your running, jogging or walking program, you may wish to gain some insight into what you should eat and drink in order to lose or maintain weight. You may also be wondering what types of nutrition you should be taking in advance of, during and after a run.

My personal stance has always been everything in moderation is the best route to go. I also believe that depriving yourself of food and drink that you really enjoy, can often end in overindulgence. We have heard of carbo-loading, protein based diets, power gels etc… but I thought I would speak with Brantford’s Krista DuChene, R.D. about her thoughts on this topic. Krista is a registered dietitian and nutrition consultant. She played with the University of Guelph Women’s Ice Hockey Team before trading in her skates for running shoes and is now a wife, marathon mom of three children and one of Canada’s premier marathoners and 2010 Canadian Women’s Marathon Champion with a best time of 2:39:08 for the 42.2 km distance.
"



*Rick Mannen was Brantford born and raised, a former international class marathon runner, winner of seven international marathons including Hong Kong, Toronto and Buffalo, competed for Canada at the World Cup Marathon in Seoul, South Korea and the Pan Pacific Marathon Championships in Long Beach, California, inductee into Brantford’s Sports Hall of Recognition.)